Thursday, April 2, 2009

Writing Haiku

A Haiku is a keenly observed moment pertaining to nature or human nature described in a short poem.

When writing Haiku I prefer the use of a 17-syllable verse form consisting of three metrical units of 5, 7, and 5 syllables. The inclusion of a season and a cut are also preferred. What do you mean a cut? A cut is the unconditional contrast and comparison of two instances, events, images, or situations.

Keep in mind that it is impossible to single out a style or format or subject matter as definitive for Haiku. I prefer the structure and inclusions to define and form the Haiku.

An example of Haiku as I understand it:

waves lap, icicles
lake snow melts, freezes, melts, drips
wet skin becomes cold


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bqJS5fqmmE

A closer look:
1. waves lap, icicles
Five syllables.

2. lake snow melts, freezes, melts, drips
Seven syllables.
Icicles and snow imply winter, the season.

3. wet skin becomes cold
Five syllables.
My skin in this instance is cold from standing in the waves and getting splashed. I never mention that as it is implied. I mention the lake, the snow, the ice, and the freezing/ thawing of water. Then, I mention my skin being cold. The contrast and comparison between the state of the lake and my skin. That is the cut.

But, this is my opinion and preferances for haiku and not a definition. I think Robert John Mestre; the Editor of the online newsletter Simply Haiku did a good job at describing haiku. He published his take on haiku in Volume 1, Number 1 July, 2003.
http://simplyhaiku.com/SHv1n1/pages/mytake.html

2 comments:

  1. In the past my experience with Haiku was feeling removed and stilted. This piece of yours is personal and elegant, it hits home. I appreciate the level of care and consideration you grant to every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! :)
    "I deeply feel that most of the time I don't say much and that much of the time most of what I say is deeply felt" ~ Rebel With a Frog

    ReplyDelete